Tuesday 12 November 2013

Less than 12 hours to go...

So, here we are, the day before the big operation.

I have been through the full range of emotions in the past couple of weeks, to be honest, but still feel that, all things considered, I have made the right decision.  Having been waiting so long, I just want to be out of the other side now, where I know longer have the prospect of an 8.5 hr operation hanging over my head.  Over the past week, I have finished up matters at work for a while and organised a 3rd birthday party for my son; both have gone pretty smoothly, so all remains is to get through the next few days in one piece!

 We came into London this evening and had planned to stay in the hospital accommodation but when we got there we found a room no better than low grade student digs, with a broken shower and phone! My heart sank, as I had been hoping for some comfort and at least a good wash before an early start tomorrow. My wonderful husband immediately got on the phone to the site manager who agreed that we could have a full refund, so off we went to the 4 star hotel across the road where we managed to get a room for two nights, costing not a great deal more than the hospital digs.  A delicious French meal later and we are both feeling considerably more relaxed, although finding topics of conversation over dinner that did not involve operations or hospitals was a little difficult!

It was really hard to leave my little boy this evening, but he had no idea what was going on - perhaps another good reason for doing it while he is young.  He will be perfectly looked after by his grandma, daddy and aunty and I have no worries at all in that regard, though I will miss him terribly. I have to keep remembering that I am doing this to try to make sure that we can both continue to enjoy his childhood with the minimum of worries.

I am prepared for pain, discomfort and all the potential problems associated with recovery from major surgery. If I can get through this without major complications or setbacks, that will be all I can hope for.  I have had so many messages of support from family and friends today - I am very lucky indeed to have such wonderful people fighting my cause.  It is true that it is when the going gets tough that you realise who your real friends are - and I am extremely fortunate to have more than my fair share.  If any of you are reading this - and you know who you are - THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment