Saturday 16 November 2013

The recovery begins..


After a pretty horrendous night sleep on Tuesday, the operation went ahead as planned on Wednesday.  It was all a bit of a rush after we got there at 7am with interviews from the surgeons, anaesthetist, nursing and research teams within the space of less than an hour. Then I was immediately wheeled off to the anaesthetics room and I don't remember much else until I woke up in recovery 8.5 hours later.

The first night was difficult, with lines and tubes everywhere (including oxygen tubes up my nose) and hourly check ups by the nurses. I did manage to sleep a bit though and, as long as I didn't try to move, the pain was manageable. The next morning, after having been checked by the doctors, out came the oxygen, self - administered pain pump and arterial line. And - I was finally allowed to eat something after 36 hours! 

I started out with four drains - two in the breasts and two in the  tummy - and over 3 days they have gradually been removed so I 
am left with just one in my stomach.  The nurses did encourage me to try to get out of bed and sit in a chair on Thursday but both times I had a faint spell and had to get into bed pretty quick with some oxygen. Clearly being vertical was a little too much for my body after over 24 hours horizontal!

On Friday however I managed quite a few walks to the bathroom and back by the end of the day and with only one drain left mobility was a bit easier.  I do have to walk around hunched over (to protect my stomach) so do look a little weird but I am getting a little straighter each time. Today I even managed a shower (seated, with assistance...) which made me (and my hair in particular) feel much better and apart from a couple of episodes of unexplained tachycardia today I have been steadily improving.

I haven't felt up to many visitors but it has been wonderful to see  my wonderful mum, husband, and sister, as well as a very close friend. It has been fantastic to see them and hear snippets from the outside world from them and via social media! I have had such fantastic support and really could not have done this without it.   I always knew that recovery would be slow and tough, but nothing can really prepare you for the enormity of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment